Roasted Beet & Orange Salad
- Phase 1
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 90 Minutes
- Serves: 6
This salad is an easy no-work salad; roast the beets the night ahead when you’re sitting down to watch a movie.
- 4 medium size beets, whole
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts or pecans
- 4 oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
OPTIONAL: goat cheese, or feta cheese to garnish
- Balsamic dressing from page 22
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F.
- Wash beets and pat dry; toss beets with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Place beets on a baking sheet, bake until soft enough to pierce with a fork (approx 1 ½ hours. Cool beets enough to handle before removing peel.
- Place walnuts on a baking sheet, and into the oven same time as the beets. Take out after 12 minutes, or when the walnuts are lightly toasted.
- Peel beets, cut into wedges
- In a large bowl, combine beets, orange segments, red onion and green onion; toss with 1/2 cup Balsamic dressing
- Garnish with cheese.