This recipe takes a bit of time but well worth the effort. These crackers are a great for entertaining this Christmas Season!
~~Yield 2 loaves. Each loaf makes 30-35 slices
Calories 67.4, CARBS 8.9g, PROTEIN 2.2g, FAT 2.9g, FIBER 1.3g
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk (or ½ cup milk with ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt)
1 TBSP brown sugar
2 TBSP honey
½ cup dried cranberries or currants
½ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
½ cup pecans or walnuts
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ ground flaxseed
¼ cup poppy seeds
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 2 tsp dried, crumbled)
Preheat oven to 3500F
1. In a medium size bowl, mix four, baking soda and salt together. Add the buttermilk, sugar and honey. Stir until just combined.
2. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir well.
3. Pour into two 8x4 inch loaf pans, lined with parchment paper, or well greased.
4. Bake at 350˚ for about 35 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch.
5. Remove the loaves from the pans and cool on a wire rack. The loaf will be much easier to slice thinly if it’s completely cooled. (Can be cooled overnight in the fridge.)
6. Slice the loaves 1/8 inch thin. Place the slices in a single layer on an ungreased cookie sheet. (best when placed on parchment paper)
7. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, then flip them over and bake 3-6 more minutes until crisp and deeply golden.
8. Remove and cool completely on a wire rack. Store in a cookie tin or freeze in sealed containers.